Final Fantasy 15 Episode Duscae Fan Fiasco

So, a lot of you avid Final Fantasy fans already know that Final Fantasy Type-0 HD came out just a couple days ago, 3 days ago I think. Even though it is a solid game that is not what I wanted to talk about right now, because something more important came out with it. For those people who pre-ordered Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, they also got access to a portion of Final Fantasy 15. When I heard about this I was just amazed because I have been waiting for this to come out, and I haven't been this hyped about something coming out in a long time.

From what I have seen thus far, Final Fantasy 15 Episode Duscae is just simply amazing. The graphics for the game are just astounding, the battle system looks great, and the character models look pretty awesome. However, from what I have read about other peoples comments on the game, there has been non-stop complaining. Honestly, most of the complaining isn't even warranted, and I think that the fan-base should just chill because this obviously isn't the finished product, but from what we have seen, I think the final product will be amazing.

Going back to the complaining there have been about 3 main things that people are complaining about:

  1. The English voice acting, and Noctis' voice
  2. The gameplay not adhering to traditional Final Fantasy combat, and
  3. The game taking too long to release
Personally I think that the English voice acting is pretty good, especially the voice acting for Ignis, Prompto, and Gladiolus, however that is not where the main discrepancy comes from. Most complaints are about the voice for Noctis, the main character of the game. When I first heard his voice I was a little startled and put off by it, so I can understand where people are coming from when they bring this up. However, I cannot stand up for the argument where people are saying that Noctis should have the voice of your typical teenager, or a voice similar to Tidus from Final Fantasy 10. This argument bugs me because it doesn't jive with the personality of the character Noctis, at least in my opinion. I think the deeper voice that he sports fits him better because from what we know about him,and from what we know: he's seen some shit. Just because a majority of the main characters from Final Fantasy games have the voice of a whiny child doesn't mean that we can't have a character with a deeper voice for a change. I think that overtime people will eventually warm up to Noctis' voice, but until then he'll have to survive the barrage of angry Final Fantasy fans. Speaking of voices, I almost forgot to talk about the voice acting issue. I think that it is pretty good, but I obviously have no idea what I am talking about according to most Final Fantasy fans. Disregarding that, for those who do not like the English voice acting, apparently there is an option to turn on the Japanese voices with the English sub-titles, so...problem solved...I think (oh who am I kidding, people on the internet will continue to complain, just like I am right now)?

Secondly, I want to address the combat. Yes, I know, the combat is not really like previous Final Fantasy games, but if you look at the history of Final Fantasy, the combat has been veering toward this more active combat style. If you look at the addition of the ATB system in Final Fantasy 4, The Shift to being able to move around in combat in Final Fantasy 12, and the really bad paradigm combat system of Final Fantasy 13, you can see that the franchise is really turning toward more active styles of combat these days. One thing that a lot of people are saying is that the combat looks like Kingdom Hearts combat; is that really a problem? Kingdom Hearts is one of the best JRPG games Square Enix has produced, so the combat being Kingdom Hearts-esque is not even a bad thing, also the lead director for Kingdom Hearts, Tetsuya Nomura is the lead designer for Final Fantasy 15, so that's even better.

Lastly, I want address people talking about the game taking way too long for it to come out. Well, recently a high point of contention for gamers is the fact that a lot of games coming out recently have been lacking in quality. They constantly complain about games like Call of Duty which are released annually and differ minimally from their predecessors. I don't know if it's just me, but I would rather this game come out 5 years from now and be the perfect game, rather than it coming out tomorrow and just being a pile of garbage. I say let Sqaure Enix take as long as they need because everyone wants to play a well made game, and long-time fans of the series such as myself would really like to see this game being the one that brings Final Fantasy back to the top, and I know it will, only if Square Enix has enough time of course.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delving into Classical RPG's : My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 1

Final Fantasy 5 Review Follow-Up

Underrated Games: A Quick Review about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest